Boasting a rich array of landscapes from the haunting Atacama Desert to the granite peaks and flower-dotted tundra of Torres del Paine, IE’s NEW Chile Photo Journey is a singular opportunity to photograph this striking country while getting personal guidance from a true expert. Leading your expedition is Claudio Vidal, a naturalist who has been leading nature tours and photo expeditions through Chile for decades. Among his credits, Claudio co-authored the photo guide Birds of Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Antarctic Peninsula.
“Recently I had the privilege of seeing four king penguin chicks and another four adult penguins carrying eggs underneath their brood patch. I can’t wait to share this experience with IE guests!” Claudio Vidal, IE Naturalist/Expedition Leader
- Explore the barren ranges, sand dunes, vast dry lake beds and geyser fields of the mythical Atacama Desert, the driest in the world.
- Claudio’s decades of expertise mean he has scouted the perfect location for sunrise and sunset photo shoots.
- Walk among two colonies of penguins; the Magellanic penguins of Otway Sound and the world’s most accessible colony of king penguins in the wild at Bahia Inutil.
- Observe three flamingo species — Chilean, Andean and James — along with other rare birdlife.
- Photograph the celebrated spires of Torres del Paine and icy faces of the Balmaceda and Rio Serrano Glaciers in the ethereal light of a southern summer.
- Hike through pristine Torres del Paine National Park, home to a host of wildlife, including pumas and guanacos.