- About IE
- Our Expeditions
- Africa & the Middle East
- Asia & the Pacific
- Central & South America
- Amazon River Cruises
- Argentina & Chile: Birds & Wines
- Machu Picchu & Cusco
- Amazon Riverboat & Rainforest Lodge
- Brazil's Pantanal
- Costa Rica
- Sample Itinerary
- Galapagos Islands
- Expedition Map
- Southern Peru
- Photos & Videos
- Northern Peru
- Peru Rainforest Lodges
- Costa Rica Family
- Argentina: Wine, Culture & Cuisine
- Custom Panama Family Tour
- Ecuador Andes & Amazon
- Patagonia: Pumas, Penguins & Whales
- Panama Cruise
- Dates & Rates
- Chile: Birds of Central Chile
- Brazil: Atlantic Rainforest
- Brazil: Southern Pantanal
- Chile: Birds of Northern Chile
- Chile: Birds of Patagonia
- Patagonia Voyage
- Brazil: Iguazu Falls National Park
- Chiloe Island
- Ecuador Active Andes
- Inca Trail Trek
- Peru Southern Highlands
- Costa Rica Adventure
- Custom Nicaragua
- Ecuador Amazon
- Finch Bay Galapagos
- North America & Caribbean
- Custom Options
- Travel Specials
- Prepare for Your Trip
- Travel Agents
- Contact Us
What's included in the price of IE's Machu Picchu & Cusco travel packages?
- Two days to explore Machu Picchu
- Explore ruins of Ollantaytambo, Sacsayhuamán & Koricancha
- Scenic Vistadome train ride to Machu Picchu
- Guided tours & enriching lectures by expert native guides
- Private weaving demonstration
- Two visits with local families
- Paso Fino horse show
- Leisure time in Cusco & Lima
- Premier Machu Picchu & Cusco travel accommodations including Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel
- 17 meals
- Tips to porters & to waiters for included meals
- Arrival & departure transfers
What kind of visas are required for travel to Peru?
Bring a valid passport that will not expire until at least six months after your departure date. Visas are not required for US or Canadian citizens.
What vaccinations are required for travel to Peru?
No inoculations are required to enter Peru or to return to the US after visiting Peru. The CDC recommends malaria pills and the yellow fever shot; however, you should consult with your personal physician.
How long are the flights?
Miami to Lima: 5 hours and 45 minutes.
Lima to Cusco: 55 minutes.
How do you deal with altitude sickness during a Machu Picchu & Cusco travel package?
You will travel from Lima at an elevation of approximately 300 feet to a height of over 11,000 feet in Cusco and the sparse scrub vegetation of the Andean highlands. You may find yourself affected by the altitude on the expedition. The most common symptoms are headache and sometimes fatigue and dizziness. Please take it easy, especially at first. These symptoms can be minimized by resting, drinking plenty of water and taking aspirin. If you have concerns about the altitude at Cusco and Machu Picchu, ask your physician about medications that may be suitable for you.
Oxygen will be available in all transport vehicles throughout your stay in Cusco, the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu. Oxygen is available at your hotels, but you must request it at the front desk.
To prepare yourself for the high altitude, please limit your alcohol intake the night before your flight, and avoid fats, milk, cheese, oranges and heavy food at meals before flying.