- About IE
- Our Expeditions
- Africa & the Middle East
- Asia & the Pacific
- Central & South America
- Amazon River Cruises
- Argentina & Chile: Birds & Wines
- Machu Picchu & Cusco
- Amazon Riverboat & Rainforest Lodge
- Brazil's Pantanal
- Costa Rica
- Sample Itinerary
- Galapagos Islands
- Expedition Map
- Southern Peru
- Photos & Videos
- Northern Peru
- Peru Rainforest Lodges
- Costa Rica Family
- Custom Panama Family Tour
- Ecuador Andes & Amazon
- Patagonia: Pumas, Penguins & Whales
- Chiloe Island
- Ecuador Active Andes
- Inca Trail Trek
- Peru Southern Highlands
- Costa Rica Adventure
- Custom Nicaragua
- Ecuador Amazon
- Finch Bay Galapagos
- North America & Caribbean
- Custom Options
- Travel Specials
- Prepare for Your Trip
- Travel Agents
- Contact Us
What's included in the price of IE’s Amazon River travel packages?
- Guided tours & lectures by native naturalists
- Services of experienced expedition leader
- 8 nights’ accommodation
- All meal on cruise
- Wildlife excursions on land & by skiff in three habitats: varzea, igapó and terra firma
- Piranha fishing
- Pre-dawn birding
- Local village & school visits
- Nighttime skiff rides & rainforest walks
- Full educational program with lectures & field interpretation
- Visit to Ranger Station #2 used for scientific study
- Cooking demonstrations
- Complimentary laundry aboard our Amazon River cruise ship
- Guides’ reception with a complimentary Peruvian cocktail, soft drink, wine & beer onboard daily.
- Blessing ceremony with a local Shaman
- Tour of colonial Lima & frontier city of Iquitos
- Tips to porters & waiters for included meals
- Arrival & departure transfers
What kind of visas are required for travel to Peru?
Bring a valid passport. We recommend that your passport remain valid for at least six months after your departure date. Visas are not required for US or Canadian citizens.
What vaccinations are required before Amazon Voyage cruises?
No inoculations are required to enter Peru or to return to the US after visiting Peru. The CDC recommends malaria pills and the yellow fever shot; however, you should consult with your personal physician.
How long are flights?
Miami to Lima: 5 hours and 45 minutes.
Lima to Iquitos: 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Should guests bring electrical adapter plugs?
The Lima hotels accommodate 110/120 voltage appliances, and a hairdryer and iron is in each room. The voltage in hotels outside of Lima and on our riverboat is 220 volts. The outlets are typical of what is found throughout North America, with two parallel pins. It is “Type A” on http://electricaloutlet.org/type-a. Two convertors and a surge protector power strip with USB connections will be provided in each cabin on the Amazon riverboat. If you feel you will need additional power supplies for electronic equipment, you may also want to travel with an international power convertor kit that included a current convertor and a set of adapter plugs. The electrical output on vessels and in some hotels can surge and affect appliances that are plugged into outlets. International Expeditions and its affiliates are not responsible for damage to appliances as a result of power surges. It is best to leave appliances plugged in only when in use, or for the minimum time required for recharging.
What kind of weather can you expect during your Amazon Voyage and Lima tour?
The Iquitos area, near where IE explores on the Amazon Voyage travel package, is located a few degrees south of the Equator and is characterized by strong tropical sun and rainforest. Average temperatures range from the upper 70° to upper 80°F year-round during the day, to the lower 70s at night. It can be cool on the river at night or on overcast days. There is very little seasonal variation between winter and summer temperatures. The average humidity ranges from 60-80%, and rainfall occurs approximately 250 days out of the year. Most showers occur in the late afternoon or evening and are of short duration.
Lima temperatures vary from 70-84°F January through March; 63-81°F April through June; 59-66°F July through September; and 61-75°F October through December.