Earlier this week on the International Expeditions Facebook page, a guest joining our Amazon cruise asked for advice on packing. As always, our expert expedition leader, Jorge Salas, came through with a great list of essentials. Check out Jorge's Amazon packing list below, and let us know if you have other suggestions.
Since the weather in the Amazon is warm and humid, you need to prepare for it. I find that the next list is enough:
- 3 or 4 pairs of long expedition pants (Light, synthetic, better if they have UV protection) — I take 3
- 3 or 4 expedition long sleeve shirts (Light, synthetic, better if they have UV protection) — I take 3
- 5 cotton t-shirts or synthetic ones
- Lots of underwear
- Long cotton socks
- A small pack with your toiletries (Tooth paste, tooth brush and other personal items of such nature)
- A zip lock bag with sunscreen and repellent
- A small bag with medicines (In case needed)
- 1 fleece
- 1 waterproof jacket
- 1 pair of good walking shoes
- 1 pair of sandals, flip flaps or crocs
- 1 hat (better if it has UV protection)
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 pair of binoculars
- Camera with lots of memory cards
In case you use a hair dryer everyday, consider bringing a small travel one. You can have laundry done on board the ship a couple of nights during the expedition, free of charge!
Put this packing list to work! Browse the pages of the new Environs nature travel guide online to find your perfect journey.