In January 2013, Jim Smith joined IE to travel to Cuba. Jim commemorated his experience with a series of haikus, which he has graciously agreed to share. Read other entries here

plant leaves, naked stripped
racked tobacco hung to dry
cigars Cuban cured 

During our Cuba people-to-people tour with International Expeditions, our small group stopped by a tobacco farm, meeting the group of women and men who worked there. This visit to a tobacco growing farm included showing us the plants in the fields being gradually stripped of their leaves followed by viewing the drying or curing sheds. The farm we visited was privately owned. 90% of their tobacco crop must be sold to the government and the remaining 10% is theirs to do with as they choose. - January 23, 2013 - Viñales, Cuba