- About IE
- Our Expeditions
- Travel Specials
- Prepare for Your Trip
- Travel Agents
- Contact Us
Easy Earth Day Tips for Greener Living
Even small changes can make a big difference for our earth. The staff at International Expeditions offers five quick and easy tips to make every day Earth Day!
- Compact fluorescent light bulbs use 75% less energy than a traditional incandescent bulb! Start small by replacing just the bulbs in your lamps and fixtures that stay on the longest — like the family room or kitchen — to realize the greatest energy savings.
- Have office paper that is just printed on one side? Before you recycle it, use a clipboard to hold the paper so it can be used as a "scratch" pad. (That's an actual photo of Creative Service Editor Emily's scratch pad to the right.)
- Before you throw out used shoes, bikes or household items, see if they can be reused or re-purposed! In addition to international charities you may be familiar with — like Soles 4 Souls and Bike Aid for Africa— local education centers can benefit from household items and even use computers and parts for job training.
- Unplug your wall chargers! Even when not in use, the charger for your digital camera, phone and other gadgets can draw as much as 5 watts per hour each. Try plugging all of your chargers into one power strip to charge needed items overnight. Then turn the power strip off when you wake up.
- When life gives you lemons...Clean! Cut a fresh lemon in half. One half can go down the garbage disposal to deodorize. Microwave the other half for one minute. Then use a sponge or cloth to wipe down the inside of your microwave oven.
Have other tips for greener living? Leave a comment below.