- About IE
- Our Expeditions
- Travel Specials
- Prepare for Your Trip
- Travel Agents
- Contact Us
Taste of Travel: Peru
Peru is a surprising mixture of cultures and cuisines – including Spanish, African, Chinese and Europeans. A true highlight of our Amazon River Voyage is the opportunity to sample the local fare, but even if you can’t be drifting down a river sipping a Pisco Sour, there’s no reason you can’t try these dishes at home!
Alfajores (Filled cookies with caramel)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup corn starch
- 1 egg
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling
Filling (caramel manjarblanco)
- Place 1 large, unopened can of condensed milk in pot and cover with water.
- Boil for 3 hours, checking water level and adding as needed. This makes the right consistency for filling. Note: Do not open can until completely cool!
- Sift flour, cornstarch and powdered sugar. Put in large bowl and cut in butter.
- Add egg and mix until soft. (Add a spoonful of milk if necessary) Let stand 15 minutes.
- Cut dough in 4 pieces.
- Spray cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle flour over clean surface and lay out a piece of dough. Stretch dough with roller to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Using round cookie cutter, make cookies and lay on cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- Apply a small amount of filling to one cookie and top with another to make a sandwich.
- Sprinkle cookies with powered sugar as desired.