- About IE
- Our Expeditions
- Africa & the Middle East
- Asia & the Pacific
- Central & South America
- North America & Caribbean
- NEW for 2014
- Special Departures
- Travel Specials
- Prepare for Your Trip
- Travel Agents
- Contact Us
What's included in the price of IE’s Southeast Asia travel packages?
- Privately guided excursions through Southeast Asia’s most interesting sites.
- Services of a professional IE Expedition Leader throughout.
- Services of a local guide who travels with you in each country you visit.
- Five UNESCO World Heritage Sites: Angkor Wat (Cambodia), Luang Prabang (Laos), Halong Bay, Hoi An, My Son (Vietnam)
- Boutique properties and 5-star hotels
- Halong Bay overnight cruise
- Tak Bat (giving of alms to monks) in Luang Prabang
- Private Lao welcome baci ceremony
- Contributions to the local communities through sustainability projects
- Visits to local markets and villages
- That Long water puppet show in Hanoi
- 40 meals
- All entrance fees
- Gratuities to all local staff (with exception of Expedition Leader)
- Arrival and departure transfers for all flights
What visas do I need to tour Southeast Asia?
Cambodia: U.S. and Canadian citizens may obtain a Cambodia visa upon arrival at Siem Reap airport. The current cost is $20 for U.S. and Canadian citizens and you must have one passport photo.
Laos: U.S. and Canadian citizens may obtain a Laos visa upon arrival at Luang Prabang airport. The current cost is $35 for U.S. citizens and $57 for Canadian citizens and you must have two passport photos.
Vietnam: U.S. and Canadian citizens must obtain a Vietnam visa in advance. An application for this visa is included with your confirmation documents. Guests whose international air requires them to enter Vietnam en route to Cambodia will require a multiple entry visa. Please ensure you apply for and receive the correct visa.
What is the best time to travel to Southeast Asia?
The best time to visit Southeast Asia is November through March, when it rains the least and is not too hot. Guests can expect cooler evenings, nights, and mornings but very hot late morning to late afternoons. There are strong sunshine and generally humid conditions. April through October is the rainy season. Siem Reap in particular can be very hot and humid, even November through March and will likely be the hottest and stickiest destination on your trip.
How much luggage can I carry?
International carriers allow for various weigh limits for checked and carry-on luggage. However, we suggest you travel as light as possible. Lao Airlines and Vietnam airlines have strict baggage allowances. Each guest is limited to one checked suitcase, maximum of 49 lbs., and no more than 14 lbs. of carry-on baggage per person. An ideal carry-on for your trip is a backpack or daypack. It allows you to organize your things for excursions as well as easily store your belongings on international flights.